Sunday, October 17, 2010

Good night, little flower

I was in the bread shop buying bread. After a long day of meetings in Jerusalem I was now back in Tel Aviv. As I was standing at the counter, placing my order, I heard the song. Playing softly in the background. For a moment I thought I was mistaken. But then no. There it was. And even before realising it, there I was, softly singing along with it, suddenly remembering all the words I didn't know I knew.

It is the Italian song of singer songwriter Francesco De Gregori, "Bounanotte Fiorellino". Goodnight flower. About someone who wishes goodnight to his love/wife who is far away. I had forgotten about the song. I don't think I've heard it since I left Italy, at the age of 18.

But suddenly I was awash with memories. Teenagers sitting around the bonfire with a guitar, humming along to this song, boys and girls hugging to keep warm in the cool Italian night. He wasn't even my favorite artist. It was just a song I loved and forgot about. Until today.

So here is the link to the song on You Tube. I looked it up when I came home and I've been listening to it ever since. Just so you can hear what I listened to many years ago and heard again today. Goodnight to all of you. I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkosxIvEQw&feature=related

Photo credit: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00676/teenagers-newquay_676811c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment